Head of Office (m/f/d), Iraq
GRC is currently seeking an experienced Head of Office (m/f/d) responsible for the overall planning, implementation and monitoring of all programmatic and strategic actions of GRC in Iraq. The position requires leadership, management, diplomacy, coordination, and representation skills as well as programmatic and technical expertise to guide GRC international delegates and Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS) colleagues.
The GRC is cooperating and jointly implementing projects with IRCS since 2014. Currently, GRC and IRCS implement four projects in the field of relief, with a strong focus on cash assistance, disaster risk reduction, community-based resilience, livelihoods and National Society Development (NSD). Projects are funded by the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO), the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and private foundations.
Starting date: 01.04.2024
Duration: 24 months with possible extension
Location: Baghdad, with frequent travels to other regions
This is an unaccompanied position. The overall line manager is the GRC country manager at Berlin HQ.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Represent the German Red Cross in Iraq;
- Maintain a co-operative working relationship with IRCS and provide IRCS with guidance and support in the strategic development process, building and strengthening their capacities, quality assurance, management, reporting and finance;
- Maintain a close cooperation and ensure regular liaison with movement partners and other humanitarian actors and stakeholders;
- Precise observation and evaluation of the humanitarian and political situation in country and advise GRC on humanitarian risks and trends;
- Lead, manage and motivate a team of experienced international and national staff, with a consistent approach in the fields of Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, diversity management and learning and development;
- Safety and security management;
- Grant management, budgeting, financial and narrative reporting, monitoring;
- Ensure compliance of all GRC operations and projects with donor regulations and standards, including procurement processes and finance management;
- Office management including administration, filing and assets;
- Oversee and support implementation of ongoing projects in close coordination with IRCS and the GRC country team;
- Develop GRC’s country strategy, including financial forecasting and budgeting
- Identify and develop new project and partnership opportunities.
Required Competencies & Skills:
- At least five years of senior leadership experience, including management of diverse teams;
- At least five years of experience in the field of international cooperation and/or humanitarian aid, including a profound understanding of the Humanitarian landscape, tools and topics;
- Expertise in Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Management, NSD or Community-based approaches are an asset;
- Excellent programme coordination and project management skills, including financial management, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, and thorough understanding of donor guidelines and regulations;
- Strong leadership skills, including strategic thinking, decision-making, presenting, and mediating conflict;
- Excellent understanding of the Movement and full commitment to the Red Cross fundamental principles and Code of Conduct. Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement experience is a strong asset;
- Strong diplomatic skills and experience in representation and networking;
- Outstanding resilience and stress management skills;
- Proven record of capacity strengthening in an advisory and capacity strengthening role, team development and coaching;
- Experience in the development and implementation of policies in the fields of safety and security, PSEAH, compliance and human resources development;
- Oral and written fluency in English, Advanced Knowledge of Arabic or German is an asset;
- Previous working experience in the MENA region is an asset;
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions';
- Valid Driving Licence.
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package, you will benefit from additional Rest and Relaxation (R&R) leave days. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system until 03.03.24
Please note that due to the travel and visa regulations and the guidelines of our partners in the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement certain vaccinations are required for this delegate position. Candidates on the short-list for this position will be asked to disclose their vaccination status.
We point out that the selection and nomination processes for this international delegate position may demand that information concerning your person be shared with involved Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement partners (IFRC, ICRC, National Society). This may include transmission into countries that do not apply data protection standards comparable to those of the European Union.